DESTROYED BY FIRE IN JANUARY 2015
The history of The Old Homestead Restaurant
Formerly The Kinney Hotel and prior to that The Wayside Inn, The Old Homestead was estimated to have been built somewhere around the early 1800's.
Once on the main artery to the Catskills from the New York Metropolitan area, Route 17 passed the front door of the restaurant. Overlooking the Neversink River, the guests could see the two lane wooden covered bridge, which was erected in 1807.
Fred and Florence Edelman purchased the restaurant in 1953. Together they operated The Old Homestead until Fred passed in 1959.
Florence with the help of her sons, Paul and Mark expanded the size of the bar and dining areas. Following Florence's retirement in 1977, Paul continued to work his magic in the kitchen while Mark did the greeting and seating. The Menu has expanded over the years to include many seafood specials, great soups, "to die for" desserts and Paul's unrivaled cinnamon raisin bread. Mark retired in 2006, leaving Paul and his wife Alice to carry on the family business.
The restaurant proudly has staff that have been serving up quality food and service for years..
In September of 2012 a celebration was held to honor Lenny Belaus for his 51 years of mixing and serving cocktails. It was a grand celebration attended by many of our customers and a large amount of past and present employees.
The Old Homestead was a sixty two year tradition in Sullivan County.
Thanks for your patronage and all the memories .